Tuesday, January 17, 2012

1. Complete a 5K. Complete!

I completed my first 5K on March 27, 2010. It was the 25th Annual Agoura Hills Great Race and it was on my 25th birthday. I thought it would be fun and I thought 3.1 miles wouldn't be too difficult.

I was wrong.

It could be possible that the amount of time I had to train compared to the amount of time I actually trained had a lot to do with how I felt that day. It could be possible that the amount of running my sister, Rachel, told me we would do compared to how much we actually did had a lot to do with how I felt. It could also be that I ate oatmeal for breakfast. Whatever excuse I want to use, the look on my face when I crossed the finish line is priceless.

(me and Rachel crossing the finish line. I'm the one on the far left in the red hat)



What happened that day was something I will never be able to describe. I hated running so much prior to and while we were running the race and yet it sparked something inside of me. I loved the racing bib, I loved the finishers metal, I loved running across the finishing line, I loved completing something and when I finished I realized that I love running.


Completing this race with my sister formed a bond between us. Although she had completed other races before, this was our first 5K together and it was not only an accomplishment for me to complete it, but it was an accomplishment for her as our finishing time gave her a new personal record. (We have gone on to run other races together including 10Ks, half marathons, and our upcoming full marathon).

I will always be thankful to her for pushing me to do something I didn't want to do. If it hadn't been for her I would have never known I had a passion for something I thought I hated.
(me and Rachel)

Since this first 5K race I have completed a total of four 5Ks. My most recent 5K was this last Thanksgiving in our local Turkey Trot. I wanted to beat my original personal record (from my first 5K) of 36:24 and this was my first opportunity to enter a race by myself. I crossed the finish line with a time of 34:16.

My next attempt for a personal record in a 5K will probably be next Thanksgiving on the same course.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on completing your 5K! Races are tough but that feeling you have when you cross the finish line just cannot be beat!

    My boyfriend and I have in-process 2012 bucket list and working on things similar to yours. It's so exciting to cross something off! :0)

    ReplyDelete